Gram Flour has been used conventionally in India from many years for instant skin glow, to treat acne, reduce oiliness, and fine hair removal. Also known as Besan or chickpea flour, gram flour is also a staple ingredient in diet due to its amazing nutritional benefits.
Gram flour is rich in zinc, protein, fiber and various other nutrients that nourish and repair skin. When used with appropriate ingredients gram flour can be effective for all skin types and cater to various skin needs.
How to use gram flour as a cleanser
For oily skin
- Simply take a tbsp of gram flour, add water and make a thick paste.
- Apply on the face and gently rub for 2 minutes, let it sit for 5 minutes and wash it off.
- It will remove excess oil without drying and the skin will feel soft and supple.
- You can use this cleanser everyday as its totally natural. Alternatively use thrice a week.
For acne prone skin
- Add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder to 2 tbsp gram flour. Turmeric has amazing anti-septic and anti-bacterial properties that fight acne and heal acne scars.
- Add few drops of lemon(rich in citric acid) and rose water(natural astringent). Make a thick paste and apply. Wash it off after 20 minutes.
- Turmeric can be harsh on sensitive skin, use a pinch initially, increase if it suits the skin.
- You can add yogurt too as its rich in lactic acid which is beneficial for shrinking large pores.
For Dry skin /sensitive skin
- Dry skin can be flaky and itchy at times, nutrients in gram flour cleanse dry skin without being harsh.
- Take 2 tbsp of gram flour and 2 tbsp fresh milk cream(malai). If cream is not available add honey or plain milk. Make a thick paste and apply on skin.
- Wash it off after 5-10 minutes.
- If your skin is not sensitive, add a pinch of turmeric powder in this cleanser.
- Use this cleanser once or twice a week.
- Apply moisturizer after washing the face.
For combination skin
- In 2 tbsp gram flour add 1 tbsp olive oil and few drops of lemon juice to make a fine paste.
- Olive oil will moisture the dry areas of skin and citric acid in lemon juice will absorb excess oil in t-zone(oily areas). You can add rose water too.
- Smear the paste, leave for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with cool water.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.
Dead cells accumulate on our skin everyday, they tend to clog pores and cause acne when mixed with oil and dirt. Therefore once a week exfoliation process is necessary for hygienic skin(twice a week for oily skin).
Scrub for oily skin/acne prone skin
- Mix 2 tbsp of gram flour with 1 tbsp oats powder or coarse yellow lentils powder.
- Add a tsp of rose water.
- Apply on a cleansed wet face and gently rub for 4-5 minutes.
- Wash it off with cool water.
- Do not apply if you have active pimples.
Scrub for dry skin/sensitive skin
- Take 2 tbsp of gram flour. Add 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp olive oil.
- Mix the ingredients to make a fine paste.
- Gently rub for 2-3 minutes then wash it off with cool water.
- Sugar will exfoliate dead skin cells gently and olive oil will help the skin stay moisturized.
- Do not exfoliate dry skin more than once a week.
Gram flour for tan removal
- Take 2 tsp gram flour.
- 2 tsp cucumber juice.
- Pulp of 1 ripe tomato.
- Few drops of lemon juice.
- 1 tsp curd for oily skin/ 1 tsp milk for dry skin
- Make a paste, apply on tanned areas and let the paste dry.
- Wash it off with cool water.
For lightening blemishes and acne scars
- Make orange/lemon peel powder by drying peels in sunlight for few days.
- Grind 2 tbsp soaked yellow lentils/ split chickpea lentils (moong dal/chana dal).
- Mix the above ingredients with 2 tsp gram flour, pinch of turmeric, yogurt/milk depending on your skin type.
- Add water to make a fine paste.
- Apply for 15 minutes then wash it off with cool water.
- For dry skin skip adding lentils powder and add few drops of olive/coconut oil.
You can also used freshly squeezed orange juice instead of orange peel powder.
Gram flour for shrinking large pores
- Egg is an excellent ingredient for tightening loose skin. Take 1 egg white and beat it.
- Mix egg white with 2 tsp gram flour and honey for its anti-bacterial properties.
- Apply the mixture, wash it off after 20-30 minutes with cool water.
Gram flour pack to soothe and rejuvenate
To soothe inflamed skin or to replenish it with anti-oxidants or to simply pamper it, apply this amazing aloe-vera, green tea and gram flour pack.
- Take freshly cut aloe vera stem, wash it and scoop out the gel, whisk until smooth.
- Brew green tea and let it cool down.
- Mix 1 tsp of aloe vera gel with 2 tsp of gram flour, add enough green tea to make a fine paste.
- Apply on a cleansed face, wash off after 20 minutes.
- Repeat twice a week.
- Your skin will love the goodness of aloe-vera and green tea. They are anti-aging, anti-bacterial, rich in anti-oxidants and full of skin nourishing components.
Gram flour for removing blackhead and whiteheads
- You can use fenugreek powder/ground coffee/oats powder, whatever is readily available to use.
- Mix a pinch of turmeric, 1 tbsp gramflour and any of the above ingredient with rose water to make a thick paste.
- Apply on the affected area and let dry.
- Don’t wash it fully just wet your palm and gently remove by rubbing for few minutes.
Gram flour to reduce fine hair growth
- Fine hair is the thin hair on forehead, upper-lip and cheeks.
- To slow down the growth of fine hair make a thick paste of gram flour, pinch of turmeric and water.
- Apply and rub gently till it dries and starts falling off.
- Do not use if you have active pimples or dry/sensitive skin.
Other recommended ingredients-For oily skin, you can use fullers earth or sandalwood powder in natural face packs.
For acne prone skin-you can use Neem leaves extract with gram flour.
For scrub you can soak almonds overnight and grind them into coarse powder, mix with gram flour and rose water for exfoliating dead skin cells. Almonds are packed with vitamin E and anti-oxidants.
In conclusion– Gram flour is a multi-purpose natural ingredient due to the many nutrients it possesses. I have also mentioned alternate ingredients, so that it becomes easier for you to use the remedies.
Along with these remedies maintain a hygienic skin routine and be mindful of the chemicals you apply . Eat clean, drink lots of water, workout, stay stress free to have healthy skin from within.
Related posts–Superfoods and smoothies for healthy skin
Note-None of the above remedies offer medical advice. Though natural ingredients do not cause side effects but make sure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients mentioned above.