Juicing vs blending is a never-ending debate, after some research and experiments(on myself:-) i know what works for me. Hopefully after reading this post you can decide too-What will work for YOU and why!
A juicer extracts the pulp of fruits and vegetables including fiber and only concentrated juice is left. The process of juicing has its own advantages and disadvantages.
ADVANTAGES OF JUICE
- Concentrated juice implies concentrated nutrients. Since there is no insoluble fiber left, juice is an instant way to cleanse and restore the system.
- Juices are great for people recovering from diseases with slower metabolism as its easy to digest and heals at a cellular level.
- Great for people with high weight loss goals.
- Hard fruit and vegetables such as beets, apples, kale,celery and broccoli make for good juice ingredients.
DISADVANTAGES OF JUICE
- Concentrated sugar content in juice spikes up insulin level, sudden sugar spike is harmful for diabetic patients and people with high weight loss goals.
- Lack of pulp does not keep you full longer and you might feel hungry soon after consuming it.
- You can’t add yogurt,butters,oil,nuts or creamy fruits to a juice which means no supply of macro-nutrients( fats, carbs and protein.)
- Expensive-since more produce is required as compared to blending.
What is blending?
Blending, extracting or smoothie-all mean the same thing. Just put your desired ingredients in a blender and consume then without removing the pulp. It contains full fiber content.
ADVANTAGES OF BLENDING
- Lots of fiber is great for good bacteria in our digestive tract for it to function healthfully.
- Unlike juice the energy flow is gradual and sugar level does not spike up due to fiber content.
- It’s like a full meal or snack because it keeps you full longer.
- Economical as the whole produce is consumed.
- You can add almond milk, peanut butters, seeds( for example chia or pumpkin seeds), a teaspoon of coconut oil to your greens.
DISADVANTAGES OF BLENDING
- Some nutrients stick to insoluble fiber and gets excreted out of the body, resulting in loss of few nutrients.
- You might have calorie overload if too much fat content is added in the form of oil, butter, nuts and seeds.
Juicing and blending are both great sources of consuming your daily dose of nutrients as its quite tedious to consume 2-3 servings of fruit and veggies daily.
Regular consumption of both, along with a balanced diet have multiple health benefits such as glowing skin,strong hair, healthy bowl movement, higher energy levels and increased immunity.
Some find a way to include both juices and smoothies in their diet while some prefer one over the other.
Based on your fitness goals, health conditions and eating habits you have to settle the juicing vs blending debate and decide what will work for you.
Still unsure of juicing vs blending? Here’s more info to help you decide what will work for you
Fruits good for blending
Vegetables good for blending
Add on ingredients for blending/smoothies
- Coconut water
- Lemon juice
- Almond milk
- Chia or hemp seeds
- Peanut butter
- Herbs(mint or parsley)
TIPS~While making smoothies i combine one citrus fruit with one sweet fruit and one green vegetable as it balances out the taste and sugar level. For example my favorite smoothie is mango, orange, kale with coconut water and mint leaves. I also like apple, spinach and chia seeds smoothie.
Another thing to keep in mind while blending is, if you add cucumber or celery then add less water as these vegetables already have high water content.
Frozen berries and bananas blend better together.
Invest in a good high power blender so as to nutrients do not get lost by fast blending and the blades can grind ice well.
Good fruits for juices
Good vegetables for juices
Like smoothies, combine the ingredients that taste well together and add little lemon juice or rock salt for extra flavor.
In conclusion- Juicing and blending are both great ways of consuming your daily vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. They both cleanse,restore, and energize the body.
In my opinion an holistic outlook is important for overall fitness along with juices and smoothies-follow a balanced diet, avoid fried starchy foods, sleep well, workout, and keep the mind relaxed.
Related Posts– 20 smoothie recipes with superfoods list