Why home remedies for dry frizzy hair
Natural ingredients are packed with nutrients that replenish dry damaged hair. They also moisturize the hair without being harsh on scalp(due to no chemical build up), and moisture is an essential requirement for healthy hair.
What are the causes of dry frizzy hair
There can be plenty of reasons for unmanageable frizz and dryness. Such as unhealthy diet, pollution, genetics, smoking, chemical products and heat tools.
There are two types of dry frizzy hair– Curly thick type and thin brittle type. While people with curly hair type can experiment more with natural ingredients, whereas people with thin hair must be little more mindful as some ingredients might weigh the hair down and cause breakage. For example.. i have thin hair so even banana mask weighs my hair down and cause it to break if the chunks get stuck.(even though i puree the banana). On the other hand egg and olive oil mask works wonder on my hair. The point is – Even though all natural ingredients mentioned below are amazing, but a little trial and error is required to figure out the best ingredients as we all have unique hair type and suitability.
Home Remedies for Dry Frizzy hair
Avocado contains good fats and natural oils that provide moisture and tame frizz. Its also rich in vitamin A, b-6 along with magnesium and copper that replenish dry hair and make it healthier and shiny.
- Mash avocado pulp to make a consistent paste.
- Add few drops of olive oil.
- If you suffer from dandruff or other scalp issues add few drops of Neem oil(excellent for scalp). If not available few drops of lemon juice will do fine and add shine too.
- Apply the mask on wet hair and wear a shower cap.
- Wash it off after 30-40 minutes.
- Apply conditioner and rinse it off with cold water to close hair cuticles.(hot water increases frizz and make hair damage prone)
- You can use this mask twice/thrice a week.
Egg is an amazing natural protein treatment for hair. Its also packed with iron, fats, vitamins and minerals essential to restore hair health.
- Whisk an egg, for long hair take 2 eggs. Use the whole egg.
- Add a tsp of olive oil, again whisk to make the mixture smooth.
- Apply on wet hair and wear a shower cap.
- If you have thin hair wash the egg mask after 10-15 minutes as the proteins in egg are strong and can cause thin hair to break if left longer. For thick hair 20-30 minutes is enough.
- Use this remedy not more than twice a month.
3.Apple cider vinegar(ACV)
ACV has nutrients that not only provide shine and tame frizz but it’s acidic level restores the pH balance of hair destroyed by chemicals. Apple cider vinegar is also anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. Hence an all rounder to solve hair and scalp issues.
- After shampoo hair rinse – mix ACV and water in 1:4 ratio.
- Pour the solution on your scalp evenly.
- Rinse out with cold water after few minutes.
You can also add a tsp of ACV to other hair masks.
4. Oil massage
This is probably the simplest yet most effective remedy in nourishing dry hair and managing frizz. You can use extra virgin olive oil/sweet almond oil/jojoba oil/Argan oil. They all work wonders for dry and frizzy hair.
Some reviews suggest Argan oil can reverse the damage caused by heating tools and acts as a protective serum if used before styling.
- Slightly warm up the oil( should not be hot).
- Gently massage the scalp with oil using your finger tips.
- You can leave it overnight if the hair is too dry. Otherwise 3-4 hours is sufficient time for the oil to penetrate into the hair shaft and restore its texture.
- Do this Twice or thrice a week.
Fruits are loaded with vitamins and minerals essential for hair growth. For dry and frizzy hair, bananas, papaya and strawberry work really well. Additional benefit is that your hair smells fruity thereafter.
Banana is rich in potassium and manganese. Papaya is a source of Beta carotene, lycopene and Vitamin C which boost hair growth. Berries are rich anti-oxidants.
- Mash the pulp of either banana,strawberries or papaya.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and a tsp of honey.
- Make a consistent paste.
- If you are using strawberries add an egg yolk for extra nourishment.
- Apply on damp hair and wear shower cap.
- Rinse it off after 30 minutes.
6.Vitamin E mask
Use Coconut oil for this mask as it is packed with vitamin E and lauric acid that restores moisture and promotes growth. Coconut is great for all hair types as it doesn’t weigh the hair down.
- Take coconut oil in a bowl as per your hair length.
- Empty 2 capsules of vitamin E in the bowl and mix well.
- Apply and leave for 4-5 hours.
- Wash it off thoroughly. Apply conditioner and rinse with cold water.(you can also use ACV rinse)
Aloe vera is super nourishing ingredient when it comes to hair and skin health.
It is packed with anti-oxidants, anti-bacterial and healing properties that sooth, hydrate and nourish dry hair. It makes frizzy hair manageable and shiny.
- Take organic aloe vera gel as per your hair length.
- Mix it with a tbsp of coconut oil and tsp of honey.
- Make a fine paste and apply.
- Leave it for 30-40 minutes.
- Use conditioner after washing the hair.
- Apply this mask twice a week.
8.Coconut milk for hair
Coconut milk nourishes and promotes hair growth while adding shine. It is a light weight protein treatment so its a great ingredient for thin hair as well.
- Take 3 tbsp of unsweetened coconut milk.
- Add a tbsp of coconut or sweet almond oil.
- Apply on damp hair and cover your scalp.
- Wash it off after 30 minutes.
- You can use this twice a week.
Mayonnaise is rich in fats, oil and protein. Great to hydrate, soften and add shine to dry frizzy hair.
- Take 1/2 cup mayonnaise( more or less as per your length).
- Add 1 tbsp of sweet almond oil and 4-5 drops of rosehip essential oil.
- Apply the mixture and wear a shower cap.
- shampoo and condition after 30 minutes.
10. Essential oils to treat dry hair
Essential oils such as tea tree, peppermint and rosehip are great to treat and manage dry frizzy hair. But essential oils are concentrated so they might cause a reaction if used directly on the scalp.
Always mix few drops of essential oil in olive, almond or coconut oil. Alternatively you can add few drops in your shampoo or homemade mask. For example-mix avocado puree with 5 drops of peppermint oil to make a nourishing hair mask.
- Though natural ingredients are mostly safe but always do a patch test before using as you might be allergic to it.
- Limit the use of hair styling equipment and products. As they cause dryness and damage.
- Use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.
- Don’t use cotton pillow covers as they absorb moisture. Satin pillow covers are great for hair.
- Take care of your diet – Eat nuts(good fats), green veggies and fruits to load up on nutrients.(you can read about smoothie recipes to consume your greens and fruits in one glass).
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated from within and it also washes out toxins.
- Let your hair air dry. Rubbing towel or over use of hair dryer cause breakage.
Hope you find the post helpful. Do let us know your favorite home remedies for dry frizzy hair by commenting below 🙂