Neem remedies have amazing medicinal properties that benefits the hair by treating scalp issues effectively from the root.
Scientific name of Neem is Azadirachta indica, also known as Nimtree or Indian lilac as it’s commonly found in Indian subcontinent(1).
Studies indicate that neem contains anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory agents that can treat dandruff and other scalp issues like psoriasis and dermatitis as well. It heals the scalp by fighting bacteria and yeast build up that causes itching. Neem oil effectively kills head lice due too.
The nutrients in Neem restore damaged hair and make them smooth and healthy. It boosts hair growth as well. Chemicals in shampoo and conditioners can build up and irritate the scalp, you can switch to natural products containing neem as one of the ingredients.
Neem oil is extracted from its fruit and seed. But neem leaves and tree bark are also used widely to treat skin issues, improve dental health, lower blood sugar level and for various other conditions.
Neem Remedies for Hair
1. Neem and yogurt paste for dandruff
- Grind few neem leaves and mix them with plain yogurt to make a fine paste.
- You can use organic neem powder also.
- Add few drops of lemon juice to it.
- Apply the paste evenly on the scalp and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off preferably with an anti-dandruff shampoo.
Lemon and yogurt are also great ingredients to treat dandruff. Citric acid and anti-inflammatory properties in lemon fight off bacteria and excess oil that cause dandruff .Yogurt nourishes the scalp and soothes itching without making the hair oily.
2. Neem oil for head lice
Neem oil is an excellent remedy to treat head lice. Pure oil is quite strong and may cause a reaction if used directly. Dilute 6-7 drops of neem oil with a tbsp of your favorite carrier oil such as olive, jojoba or coconut.
To make neem oil at home, boil few neem leaves in coconut oil. Let it cool down. Strain and gently massage the oil onto your scalp. Let it stay for an hour for best results (Neem and coconut oil work very well to treat dandruff as well).
3. Neem hair mask to condition dry frizzy hair
- Mix neem powder with sweet almond oil to make a fine paste.
- Apply the paste and wash it off after 30 minutes.
- You can use this remedy twice a week.
4. Neem water Rinse for hair growth
- Take 10-15 pre-washed neem leaves and boil them in a liter of water.
- Cover the pan and let them steep for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Switch off the gas and strain the leaves and let the water cool down.
- Pour this water slowly on the scalp after shampoo as the final rinse.
5. Essential oil treatment
To treat scalp issues mix 5 drops of neem oil, tea tree oil and rosemary oil each. Dilute them with a tbsp of coconut oil. Apply and wash it off after 1 hour.
6. Neem to treat dry hair
- Soak 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- Grind them and make a paste.
- Add neem powder/neem leaves paste and 1 tbsp of almond oil.
- Apply the mixture and cover your head with a shower cap.
- Wash it after 30 minutes.
(Related post–10 Effective home remedies for dry frizzy hair)
7. Neem and amla(indian gooseberry) for hair growth
- Take equal quantities of amla powder and neem powder.
- Mix them with enough olive oil to make a thick paste.
- Apply on wet hair and leave for 30 minutes.
- Amla is an excellent ingredient for hair growth and shine.
- Always do a small patch test before trying new ingredients as you might be allergic to them though natural ingredients are mostly safe to use.
- You can also add few drops of neem oil in your shampoo.
- Look for organic Neem powder and Amla powder .
- Aloe vera gel, eggs, mustard oil, apple cider vinegar are other great ingredients you can mix Neem powder with to boost hair health.
- Neem remedies when made with other suitable natural ingredients have immense benefits for hair and scalp. Just be mindful of the products that suit your hair type.
Neem water can be used to treat acne and oily skin also, simply wash your face with neem water. You can also mix neem powder with turmeric and rose water, apply this twice a week for 30 minutes to treat pimples.
Disclaimer-The above remedies cannot replace medical treatments. For severe scalp issues it is advisable to consult a dermatologist.