Why homemade cleansers for oily acne prone skin?
Commercial cleansers are laden with harsh ingredients that can cause various side-effects. Whereas homemade cleansers are made up of natural ingredients that are nourishing, effective and totally safe. So why spend so much on chemical products when you can treat your skin with pocket friendly nourishing recipes at the comfort of your home.
Oily skin is more prone to acne because oil attracts dust and bacteria that sticks together and cause pimples. Therefore its important to cleanse oily skin at least twice a day and maintain good skin hygiene. You will find some useful tips to manage oily skin below the cleanser remedies.
Homemade Cleansers for Oily Acne Prone Skin
Chickpea flour also known as besan is rich in proteins and essential nutrients that nourish the skin while fighting acne causing bacteria. Its a very effective ingredient to remove excess oil gently from the skin.
- Take a tbsp of gram-flour and add water to make a thick paste.
- For added benefits(especially for acne), add a tsp of turmeric powder to the paste.
- Mix well and apply.
- Wash it off after 5-10 minutes.
- You can use gram-flour everyday as a cleanser.
(Related post– 12 Gram-flour remedies for all skin types.)
2. Milk and Lemon
Lemon is rich in citric acid that permeates through oil and cleanse pores from dust and bacteria.Whereas milk protein and lactic acid nourish the skin without making it greasy.
- Take a tbsp of raw milk.(skim milk will work too)
- Add 4-5 drops of lemon juice to it.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and gently massage with it.
- Wash it off when it dries.
- Moisturize as usual.
- This cleanser can be used daily.
- Its a natural make-up remover as well.
3.Clay and rose water.
Multani mitti, also known as fullers earth is a potent cleanser with many nutrients. You can also use bentonite clay(green clay).
Clay removes oil, bacteria, dust and shrink large pores while leaving the skin soft and nourished. Rose water acts as a natural astringent that soothes inflammation.
- Mix your choice of clay with enough rose water to make a fine paste.
- Apply on wet face and let it dry.
- Wash it off after 20-30 minutes with lukewarm water.
- Don’t forget to moisturize.
4.Olive oil and tea tree oil
It sounds strange to apply oil on oily skin but the skin really needs moisture so that the body does not use its natural oil and make the skin oily from within. Along with hydration olive oil has anti-oxidants, essential fatty acids and vitamins that soothe and repair.
Add few drops of tea tree oil in olive oil as it is highly anti-bacterial.
- Take a tsp of olive oil and add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Apply with a cotton ball.
- After few minutes wipe it off gently with a soft towel soaked in warm water.
- Olive oil can also be used to remove light make-up.
Tea tree oil is highly concentrated and might cause a reaction if applied directly so always dilute 2-3 drops of it with a tsp of carrier oils such as jojoba, coconut, olive or sweet almond oil. You can also add few drops of tea tree oil in your regular face wash.
5 Baking soda and apple cider vinegar
Baking soda has the ability to restore skins Ph balance and remove excess oil. But its a strong ingredient so if you have sensitive skin, bumps or cuts DO NOT use this remedy. Apple cider vinegar has malic acid, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. A mixture of these 2 ingredients is excellent for oil acne prone skin.
- Mix a tsp of baking soda with 3 tbsp of ACV.
- Apply on your face.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water after 10 minute and moisturize.
- Use this cleanser once a week.
- If you mix baking soda with plain water, wash it off within a minute.
- Only ACV and water solution can also be used as a cleanser in 1:4 ratio.
6 Aloe vera
Aloe vera is a versatile ingredient used in various remedies due to its medicinal properties and nutrient value. Its rich in anti-oxidants and is anti-microbial thus great to treat acne and repair damaged skin.
- Cut an aloe vera stem, remove the sharp edges and peel from one side.
- Simply rub the gel on your face gently.
- Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off and moisturize.
You can also scoop out the gel, whisk it and add turmeric for acne prone skin. There are numerous ingredients you can mix aloe vera gel with like tea tree oil, gram-flour, olive oil, cucumber juice and rose water, they are all excellent ingredients to cleanse oily skin.
7 Fruit cleansers
Fruit cleansers are not only extremely nourishing but they also smell great. Best fruits to cleanse oily skin are papaya, watermelon and berries.
Simply puree the fruits and apply, wash them off after 20-30 minutes. Alternatively, rub a papaya or watermelon slice for few minutes gently onto the face.
8 Tomato and lemon
Tomato has astringent qualities that remove excess oil while brightening the skin. Its also removes tan effectively.
- Rub a tomato peel for few minutes on the face.
- Wash the face after 10-15 minutes.
- Another way is to use pulp or juice.
- For extra benefits add 2-3 drops of lemon juice in it.
- Apply and wash after 20 minutes.
- You can use this remedy 3 times a week.
9 Neem paste/rinse
Neem contains anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory agents that treat acne effectively and remove oil. You can use neem powder with rose water as face mask. Another way is to use neem water to cleanse the face.
To make neem rinse, boil a handful of pre washed neem leaves in 4 cups water on low flame for 15 minutes. Strain the leaves and use as a face rinse after it cools down.
(Related post–7 Neem remedies for hair and scalp).
10. Chamomile or green tea
The flavonoids and essential oils in chamomile tea gently moisturize and nourish the skin. Its also great for fading blemishes and scars. It suits sensitive skin as well. Green tea is rich in anti-oxidants and anti-aging properties.
- Brew chamomile/green tea.
- Strain and let it cool down.
- Soak a cotton ball in it and wipe your face with it.
- You can also make ice cubes with it and rub gently to shrink pores and to get a natural glow.(For more ice cube benefits and recipes Click Here).
11 Triphala paste
Triphala churna(powder) is a powder made with 3 herbal fruits. It has amazing all round health benefits(To know more about triphala benefits CLICK HERE).
Triphala repairs damaged skin and prevents signs of aging. It fights acne causing bacteria and pigmentation. The emollient properties soothe dry flaky skin by locking in moisture. It keeps the skin soft, supple and rejuvenated. For oily skin mix a tbsp of triphala powder with few drops of lemon juice and rose water. Apply and wash the mask after 15-20 minutes.
There are some other natural ingredients that can be used to cleanse the face like ground coffee paste, sandalwood powder and honey mixed with water. You can try and find out which ingredient suits your skin and make your own homemade cleansers for oily acne prone skin. Always do a patch test before applying anything new as you might be allergic to it.
Tips to take care of oily skin and prevent acne
- Wash your face at least twice daily and exfoliate 3 times a week.
- Avoid touching your face as the fingers spread bacteria and cause more pimples.
- Drink lots of water to flush out toxins naturally.
- Avoid oily, fried and junk food as it causes internal inflammation and make skin oily.
- Consume fresh fruits and veggies to nourish the body and to have a naturally glowing skin.
- Stress also impacts skin adversely, so stay positive and happy.
- Use natural toners and gel/ water based moisturizers to hydrate skin.
(Related post– Natural toners for oily skin)