Store bought cleansers often contain ingredients that can irritate the skin and strip off natural oils, hence homemade cleansers are great alternatives as they nourish and soothe dry skin without being harsh.
A regular cleansing routine is a must to clear up sweat, dirt and bacteria build up as to prevent them from clogging of pores. Home remedies with natural ingredients like oils, fruit pulps, yogurt, and herbs etc.is a great way to replenish and rejuvenate parched skin.
Homemade cleansers great for dry skin
1 Milk cream and lemon
Milk is a natural exfoliant with lactic acid, for dry skin use either full fat milk or milk cream.
Lemon is an anti-bacterial that fights acne and nourishes skin with vitamin C.
- Take 1 tbsp. of milk cream
- Add 2-3 drops of lemon juice in it.
- Dab a cotton in the solution and gently cleanse the face in circular motion for few minutes.
- Wash it off after 5 minutes with lukewarm water.
2 Avocado cleanser
Avocado is rich in anti-oxidants, vitamin C , E and essential fatty acids that soften and moisturize dull flaky skin.
- Simply puree a ripen avocado and apply on the skin.
- To enhance the benefits you can add few drops of olive oil in it.
- Let the mask stay on for 15 minutes then wash it off with warm water and moisturize.
3 Honey and oatmeal cleanser
Honey is a natural emollient with anti-bacterial properties that soothe skin and protect it from acne, aging and pigmentation.
Oatmeal is another extremely nourishing ingredient for dry sensitive skin.
- Soak a tbsp. of oatmeal in water and use it when it softens a little.
- Add a tsp of honey in it and make a consistent paste.
- Apply gently and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
You can also use cooked oatmeal or oatmeal powder.
4 Fruit cleansers
Fruits contain alpha-hydroxy acids, vitamins, minerals and natural moisturizers. Fruit masks are super easy to use and they smell great too!
Fruits great for dry skin are bananas, pineapple, papaya and apple.
- Mash your choice of fruit.
- Apply on dry skin and wash it off after few minutes.
- Alternately soak a cotton ball in apple/orange/pineapple juice and gently rub your face in circular motions. Wash it off when the juice dries.
5 Egg yolk and honey
Egg yolk hydrates the skin by locking in moisture and its nutrients nourish dry skin effectively. It also tightens pores and fights ageing.
- Whisk an egg yolk.
- Add a tsp of honey and mix well.
- Apply and let the mask stay on for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water thereafter.
6 Oil cleansers
Carrier oils such as Jojoba, argan, rosehip, olive and almond works best for dry skin. You can also add essential oils such as lavender or carrot seed oil to heal flaky dull skin.
Essential oils are highly concentrated so dilute 2-3 drops of essential oil with 3 tbsp. of carrier oil.
- Rub the oil on your face with a cotton ball for few minutes.
- Soak a face towel in hot water and wipe off the oil (make sure to check the temperature or the skin will burn)
- This will cleanse your face without making it dry. The skin will feel soft and supple thereafter.
7 Glycerin and aloe Vera
Glycerin is a humectant thus it locks in moisture and keeps the skin hydrated and nourished. It also helps to treat sensitive itchy skin.
- Mix glycerin and rose water in the ratio of 2:1. Then add few drops lemon juice(optional).
- Mix the solution well and apply evenly on effected area.
- You can wash it off after few minutes or leave it overnight as it has no side effects.
If it feels too sticky add more rose water or cucumber juice.
Yogurt is another amazing ingredient to cleanse the face naturally. Apply the yogurt and let it sit for 5-10 minutes then rinse it off with tepid water. You can also add honey/olive oil/mashed apple in it for more benefits.
9 Gram flour cleanser
Gram flour is an excellent cleanser for all skin types. It is rich in minerals and protein that heal and repair the skin gently while fighting acne causing bacteria.
For dry skin add milk cream or olive oil and make a fine paste. Apply and leave it on for 10 minutes then rinse it off with warm water and moisturize as usual.
10 Almond powder and milk cleanser
Almond powder is rich in vitamin E and its natural oils clear dead cells, bacteria and dirt effectively without drying out the skin.
- Mix almond powder and milk to make a consistent paste.
- Apply on wet face and massage for few minutes in circular motions.
- Rinse it with tepid water after few minutes and moisturize as usual.
Dry skin can be a cause of various factors such as genetics, medication, chemical skin products or poor diet.
Along with using homemade cleansers for dry skin, it is imperative to take care of the following things.
- Drink lots of water to stay naturally hydrated.
- Eat fresh fruits, veggies and good fats.
- Stay away from junk food, alcohol and smoking.
- Always wear a sunscreen while stepping out.
- Try to use natural ingredients for moisturizing and exfoliating as well and maintain good skin hygiene.
- Read the label on your cosmetics, they should not contain parabens, fragrances and other harmful ingredients.